Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Software Vision Switcher - vMix and WinFast DTV1000S

It would appear that the world has moved on to the point where it is possible to switch live video with minimal delay using a PC and a software vision switcher.  Obviously some hardware is required to injest the video.

VMIX
For my first test, I am going to try vMix
vmix.com.au
If it works, then I will buy one of the paid versions.  The "HD" version is $349.  There is a more expensive version at $700 which as far as I can see allows one to record all the inputs.  I do not require that feature.

To start with I have downloaded the free version.  This is limited to two inputs but I figure that is enough to try it out and to try out some hardware.

WinFast DTV1000 S BDA Analog Capture
8-APR-2013 Update - Now it works!

First card to be trialled is my TV tuner card.  This card has an analogue video input.  To get a trial input signal I connected it up to an old Sony camcorder.  In demo mode incidentally.

This screen grab shows that video is able to be injested by the WinFast card.

For the remaining tests, I CLOSED this window.








The WinFast device appears as a capture device
When I select it, the name appears on a preview "monitor" and the name appears in the title bar and the contents of the monitor changes from the background black to a very very dark greeny colour.  But no video.

Turns out the problem was I had missed the place where I can select the input.  duh!




 Just had to select the "Composite" Input.

 By now I had gotten another somewhat cheap and nasty Digitech USB DVR input capture device to work.  And both inputs are visible down the bottom.

So this is looking very promising.






vMix Output
Connected second monitor on VGA and the output shows up there.

So far all good.
The challnges now are:
to get an idea of how many capture channels can be accommodated.
How much lag








Capture Card Options
Dark Crystal


computer Alliance  $109  Manufacturer PN C027
PCIe AVerMedia C027 DarkCrystal Pro HD Video Capture Card
  • Input Signal:
    • S-Video
    • Composite (RCA)
    • Component (YPbPr, 1080i/720p)
    • HDMI (1080i/720p)
    • Analog Audio L/R
  • Support resolution: 480i / 480p / 576i/ 576p/ 720p / 1080i (50/60 Hz)
GoComp $105  (I suspect this is the same card as the Computer Alliance Card)
http://www.gocomp.com.au/index.php?cpath=productinfo&pid=II05992
Avermedia AVTV-CHD-PCIE
Input Signal
75 O TV Antenna (IEC)
HDMI/HDCP Input (up to 1080i/720p)
Composite (RCA)
Remote Sensor
S-Video
Audio In(L/R)x 2
Component (YPbPr up to 1080i/720p)
For TimeShift and Record in MPEG-2
Intel Pentium 3.0GHz with HT (Hyper-Threading) or equivalent
For HDTV (H.264) Preview and HD/HDMI Capture 















1 comment:

  1. hi,its Symon from South Africa, thanks for the post! im planning to buy Avermedia Digital Video Surveillance System NV3000. whats your opinion about the card?

    Here's my setup: x2 Sony PD170 SD Cam, i5 PC win7, philips HDD Rec, and Sanyo 3500 ansi lum Proj.

    ReplyDelete